THE FIRST LEGO® LEAGUE UNITED STATES OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
The Wright State University Campus
May 7 – 9, 2009
What is the FLL United States Open Championship?
The FIRST LEGO® League United States Open Championship is a two and a half day open championship. This championship gives teams from all over the country an opportunity to meet and work together as they experience some unique opportunities in the Dayton area that only an open championship event can offer.
One team from every championship tournament in the United States is invited to this open championship tournament. Expected number of participants: 60 teams
Where will it be held?
The United States Open Championship will be held at the Ervin J. Nutter Center and the Student Union on the Wright State University campus in Dayton, Ohio. The special team event will be held at the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
BASIC EVENT SCHEDULE - FREE EVENT
What is the team selection process?
Team invitations should come from the FLL Operational Partner from each of the championship tournaments in the United States.
Only one team from each championship tournament may attend. Invitation priority goes to:
- 1st Place Champion’s Award winner
- 2nd Place Champion’s Award winner
- 3rd Place Champion’s Award winner
- Winner of the 1st place trophy or equivalent in one of the FLL required award categories.
What is the team registration fee?
The team registration fee is $600 and is payable by check to the Ohio Educational Outreach Foundation or by credit card through PayPal. Registration for this event will open on February 1, 2009. All registrations and payments must be made by March 31, 2009.
The following are the planned activities for the event:
- Team activity at the National Museum of the United States Air Force for each team member and up to two coaches. Included in this activity: deluxe box lunch; transportation to the museum from the Ervin J. Nutter Center parking lot and back (required for everyone attending this event); the team orientation presentation; an IMAX movie; two (2) hour self-guided tour of the museum, including access to the museum gift shop.
- The full two (2) day competition, including judging and robot practice, competition, elimination and team alliance rounds
- Engineering Extravaganza event at the Wright State University Student Union or the Russ Engineering Building at WSU on Friday, May 8, 2009,
- Dinner on Friday, May 8, 2009 at the Wright State University Student Union for every team member and up to two coaches or mentors
- Finale Celebration Pizza Party, May 9, 2009 at the Ervin J. Nutter Center for every team member and up to two coaches or mentors
Special Event Tickets will be available on a limited basis for team friends and family members. These tickets will allow access to the National Museum of the United States Air Force special team event and to the Friday and Saturday team dinners. No other team only access will be permitted with this purchase. Each team may order up to 5 special event tickets at a cost of $60.00 per ticket. Additional tickets may be available for purchase after registration closes on March 31, 2009. Only registered teams may order these special event passes.